I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Currency tax — a way to invest in our future

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

windreader1

Currency tax — a way to invest in our future (Rep. Stark)
By Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) - 07/20/10 03:51 PM ET

Each day, $4 trillion dollars of currency are traded. For international businesses and travelers, trading dollars for other currencies serve a legitimate purpose. However, nearly 80 percent of these transactions are undertaken by a handful of major banks. Experts agree that most of these transactions are made for purely speculative purposes.

Wealthy traders and big financial institutions make huge bets on the fluctuations in currency value, and they can make massive profits if their bets are correct. This type of speculation helped to worsen the recent financial crisis and serves no purpose other than to make a few people and institutions even richer.

Today, I introduced H.R. 5783, the Investing in Our Future Act. My legislation would simply impose a small tax — of 0.005 percent — on these currency transactions. The money raised would be put toward investments in children, global health and climate change mitigation.

For the average person or business, this small tax will hardly be noticed. But, due to the extreme speculation that takes place, it would raise significant funds. Studies estimate a worldwide 0.005 percent tax on dollar transactions would raise $28 billion a year and reduce currency speculation by 14 percent.

Here at home, the funds from this fee would be used to improve the quality and affordability of child care. This funding would provide more child care options, so working families can obtain the quality care their children need to begin school ready to learn.

Internationally, the bill would create a U.S. fund to assist developing countries with the impacts of global warming. At the United Nations Climate Change Conference in December, President Obama pledged to fund our country's commitment to mitigating the effects of climate change. This bill would make that promise real.

Finally, the legislation would create a Global Health Trust Fund to fight HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis and other diseases that kill millions of people each year in developing nations. This money will fund treatments and prevention for these diseases, as well as research aimed at eradicating them altogether.

For too long, the needs of the financial industry have trumped initiatives that will help lift people out of poverty and give children a healthy start. The Investing in Our Future Act will aid in getting our priorities back in order, and reduce financial speculation by Wall Street.

You can help - please call your Member of Congress and tell them to sign on as a co-sponsor of H.R. 5783. Find your member at http://house.gov

Yup Congress FUNDS the world....wonder how this will effect Hot Money? I don't see it would effect it to much...only people with A LOT of money invest Hot Money.

windreader1

SEC. 2. EXCISE TAX ON CURRENCY TRANSACTIONS.

(a) In General- Chapter 36 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by inserting after subchapter B the following new subchapter:

`Subchapter C--Currency Transactions

`Sec. 4475. Currency transactions.

`SEC. 4475. CURRENCY TRANSACTIONS.

`(a) In General- There is hereby imposed a tax on each currency transaction made by, or on behalf of, a United States person.

`(b) Exception for Low-Value Transactions-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Subsection (a) shall not apply to any currency transaction made by, or on behalf of, a United States person, if the aggregate value of the currencies acquired by such person in all such transactions made during the calendar year does not exceed $10,000.

`(2) COORDINATION WITH WITHHOLDING RULES- Subsection (e)(2) shall not apply to any currency transaction unless the value of the currency acquired by the United States person in such transaction exceeds $10,000. The preceding sentence shall not apply if the person who facilitates such currency transaction knows, or has reason to know, that the exception provided by paragraph (1) does not apply to such transaction.

`(c) Amount of Tax-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The amount of the tax imposed under subsection (a) with respect to any currency transaction shall be equal to 0.005 percent of the value of the currency acquired in the transaction.

`(2) SPECIAL RULE FOR CURRENCY DERIVATIVES- In the case of any currency derivative, the value of the currency acquired in the transaction shall be treated for purposes of this section as being equal to--

`(A) in the case of a forward contract, the value of the currency purchased or sold forward,

`(B) in the case of a notional principal contract, the value of the notional principal amount of the contract,

`(C) in the case of an option, the value of the currency that would be acquired in the event the option were exercised, and

`(D) in the case of any other currency derivative, the value as determined by the Secretary.

`(3) VALUATION OF CURRENCY- For purposes of this section, the valuation of any currency shall be determined in the taxpayer's functional currency (within the meaning of section 985) at the spot rate on the date of the transaction.

`(d) Currency Transaction- For purposes of this section--

`(1) IN GENERAL- The term `currency transaction' means--

`(A) the exchange of any currency for another currency, and

`(B) entering into any currency derivative.

`(2) CURRENCY DERIVATIVE- The term `currency derivative' means--

`(A) any currency notional principal contract, and

`(B) any option, forward contract, short position, hedge, or similar financial instrument with respect to any currency or currency notional principal contract.

`(e) Liability for Tax; Withholding-

`(1) LIABILITY FOR TAX- The tax imposed under subsection (a) with respect to any currency transaction shall be paid by the United States person referred to in subsection (a). Such person shall be allowed a credit against such tax in the amount withheld as tax under paragraph (2) with respect to such transaction.

`(2) WITHHOLDING BY CURRENCY TRANSACTION FACILITATORS-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Except as provided in subparagraph (B), each United States person which facilitates a currency transaction by, or on behalf of, a United States person shall deduct and withhold from the amount involved in such transaction a tax equal to the amount of the tax imposed under section 4475 with respect to such transaction.

`(B) AMOUNTS WITHHELD ONLY ONCE- The Secretary shall prescribe regulations or other guidance to ensure that only one United States person deducts and withholds the amount described in subparagraph (A) with respect to each currency transaction. Such regulations or other guidance shall (subject to such exceptions as the Secretary may prescribe) require--

`(i) in the case of a currency transaction which is confirmed and matched by a United States person, that such person so deduct and withhold such amount, and

`(ii) in the case of a currency transaction not described in clause (i) which is settled by a United States person, that such person so deduct and withhold such amount.

`(3) COORDINATION WITH OTHER SECTIONS- For purposes of so much of subtitle F (other than section 7205) as relates to chapter 24, amounts which are subject to withholding under paragraph (2) shall be treated as if they were wages paid by an employer to an employee (and amounts deducted and withheld under paragraph (2) shall be treated as if deducted and withheld under section 3402).

Excerpts from the bill. Sure looks like it will be applied to the dinar RV which means more taxes will be withheld.

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

can't really say I'm surprised....gives me a feeling we're closer to the big day though.

chittychittybangbang

tax==tax==more tax..

there is no tax on gold, silver; only when you sell some of it... It is non interest bearing..so it only cost you a storage fee to have it.. inmo we will never see gas for a $1.00, or oil for under $50.00, or gold under $500.00 again. we will see a lower dollar.. and eventually a collapse or change in American currency. We really must use good judgement with this investment.. I don't think there will be another in this lifetime...so to speak

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum