I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

E-mail response from the U.N. about the lifting of Ch.7

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

outkastjamz

Dear Sir/Madam:

In response to your query, please note that Iraq is no longer under Chapter 7. For more information regarding Iraq please visit the below URL:
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=31714&Cr=Iraq&Cr1=

Best regards,

Public Inquiries Unit
Department of Public Information
United Nations
inquiries2@un.org

10/08/2009 09:00 AM
To <inquiries2@un.org>
cc
Subject chapter7 sanctions on Iraq

I know on August 7, 2009 that the U.N. extended UNAMI for an additional year for Iraq. I would like to know if iraq is still under Ch.7 "Saddam Era Sanctions" or have they been lifted. Thanks

THANK YOU JAMZ!!!!

more detail questions has been replied back to the UN to clarify the lifting of Chap. 7

we await the reponse...it will be posted here the reply's back

windreader1

I just talked by telephone to an individual in the Security Council office regading Resolution 1859 and whether Chapter VII had been lifted. Resolution 1859 is the controlling document regarding Chapter VII.

I was told the Security Council will hold a public meeting on Resolution 1859 and the Chapter VII issue in the next several weeks, possibly in September. I was further advised to watch the Security Council schedule regarding the meeting.

WOW...thanks mom...Wonder if that could be the meeting on Aug. 19th about Middle East??

windreader1

Maybe, but September was also mentioned.

windreader1 wrote:Maybe, but September was also mentioned.

IITB owes me....lol.......remember the bet big guy!!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers

windreader1 wrote:I just talked by telephone to an individual in the Security Council office regading Resolution 1859 and whether Chapter VII had been lifted. Resolution 1859 is the controlling document regarding Chapter VII.

I was told the Security Council will hold a public meeting on Resolution 1859 and the Chapter VII issue in the next several weeks, possibly in September. I was further advised to watch the Security Council schedule regarding the meeting.

Mom...your the GREATEST!!! your the only person that would have been able to finally get a direct # to the security council....LOVE IT!!! How many departments did it take again???

Chapter 7 sanctions lifted
This is the first part of UN resolution S/2009/406. It seems to say that all previous resolutions (sanctions) have been removed. You can search for the pdf of resolution on the UN main website to view the full document.

The Security Council,
Recalling all its previous relevant resolutions on Iraq, in particular
1500 (2003) of 14 August 2003, 1546 (2004) of 8 June 2004, 1557 (2004) of
12 August 2004, 1619 (2005) of 11 August 2005, 1700 (2006) of 10 August 2006,
1770 (2007) of 10 August 2007, and 1830 (2008) of 7 August 2008,
Reaffirming the independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of
Iraq,

Links
Document search:

http://www.un.org/en/documents/

This link is the document:

http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/G...df?OpenElement

hope is works for you...

Security Council extends UN mission in Iraq for one more year

7 August 2009 – The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) for another year, and decided that it should continue to pursue its expanded role in the country.

The Council unanimously adopted resolution 1883, “reiterating its support to the people and the Government of Iraq in their efforts to build a secure, stable, federal, united and democratic nation, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights.”

As set out in resolutions 1770 (2007) and 1830 (2008), UNAMI is tasked with assisting the Government in the areas of elections, reconciliation, the resolution of disputed boundaries, human rights and humanitarian concerns, as well as reconstruction and development.

In today’s resolution, the 15-member Council also called on the Iraqi Government and other Member States to continue providing security and logistical support to UNAMI, recognizing that the security of UN personnel is essential for the Mission to carry out its work.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, in his recent report on UNAMI, said that Iraq is entering a crucial transition period, highlighted by its increased responsibility for its security and the national elections planned for next January.

It is also “potentially a time of opportunity” regarding the Iraq’s recovery and development, he added, citing momentum across the Government to tackle some of the country’s most entrenched socio-economic issues – unemployment, dilapidated infrastructure, corruption and poverty.

Briefing the Council earlier this week, Mr. Ban’s new top envoy to Iraq voiced cautious optimism as the country regains its sovereignty, while warning of potential dangers ahead.

“Although statistics tell the story of a downward trend in the overall level of violence, reality is still tainted by an unacceptably high level of indiscriminate attacks on civilians,” Ad Melkert stated, following his first visit to Iraq as the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of UNAMI.

Mr. Melkert cited preparations for national elections in 2010 and the issue of ethnically disputed areas, including oil-rich Kirkuk, as two of the most critical priorities currently facing the UNAMI in promoting long-term stability in Iraq.

thumper wrote:Chapter 7 sanctions lifted
This is the first part of UN resolution S/2009/406. It seems to say that all previous resolutions (sanctions) have been removed. You can search for the pdf of resolution on the UN main website to view the full document.

The Security Council,
Recalling all its previous relevant resolutions on Iraq, in particular
1500 (2003) of 14 August 2003, 1546 (2004) of 8 June 2004, 1557 (2004) of
12 August 2004, 1619 (2005) of 11 August 2005, 1700 (2006) of 10 August 2006,
1770 (2007) of 10 August 2007, and 1830 (2008) of 7 August 2008,
Reaffirming the independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of
Iraq,

these are resolution that only have to deal with unami...none of the chap. 7 resolution are in this resolution. Wind has made a post on this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum