I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
I Get By With Alittle Help From My Friends....

Dinar Outcast

You are not connected. Please login or register

Divergence over Article 140 of the Iraqi Constitution

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Panhead

Panhead
Admin

Divergence over Article 140 of the Iraqi Constitution

Saturday, January 23rd 2010 1:41 PM

Baghdad, Jan. 23 (AKnews)- A member of the Iraqi Parliament urged on Saturday the Kurdish officials to realize that it is unreasonable that the draft constitution imposes time constraints on a particular Article and wants it at the same time in an absolute way, or to put an intended restriction and then wants to get rid of it, whilst another MP said that demands of some Iraqi MPs and politicians to eliminate Article 140 are unconstitutional and illegal.

"Kurdish officials shall reconsider Article 140, since their demands need a legal proof to justify their position. After the date of 31\12 \2007, article 140 is no longer the same," MP Omar al-Jibouri of Kirkuk Province told the Independent National News Agency of Kurdistan (AKnews) today.

He said that "the article's constitutional period has ended and the least we can say is that it became a controversial article, and thus it lost effect and meaning/"

" Article 140 is not applicable to Kirkuk , due to its negative effects, incompatible with the historical situation of Kirkuk as a microcosm of Iraq, as well as for legal and constitutional reasons."

MP Mohsen al-Sadoun from Kurdistan Alliance said: "Article 140 is a voted constitutional article and is still in effect, and whoever questions its legality now, knows very well that the Kurds were deported instead of many Arab brothers who proposed this Article in Kirkuk "

Sadoun said: "now that the regime has changed, they receive an amount of 20 million Iraqi dinars to return to their homelands". He outlined that this means normalization and the Kurds continue to work according to the mechanism of Article 140, as well as referendum and statistics.

He stressed that those who claim such demands have propaganda purposes, and statements of Kurdish officials are in accordance with the Constitution, as they are demanding the equal
legitimate rights of the affected Kurds, Arabs and Turkmen from the people of Kirkuk."

[Article 140 of the Constitution of Iraq states that before the referendum is carried out, measures should be taken to reverse the Arabization policy employed by the Saddam Hussein admnistration during Al-Anfal Campaign. Thousands of Kurds returned to Kirkuk following the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The referendum will decide whether enough have returned to the area to be considered Kurdish]

aa/Sh. (AKnews)

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/4/106536/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum